AODA Customer Service Policy
YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) is committed to providing our customers with consistently high levels of customer service. In the pursuit of our commitment, YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) will strive to ensure that our products, services and facilities are provided in an accessible manner.
The government of Ontario created the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) with the goal of developing standards that would improve accessibility for people with disabilities across the province. The AODA allows the Provincial Government to develop specific standards of accessibility and enforce them. The standards are made into regulations pursuant to the AODA.
Ontario Regulation 429/07 – Accessibility Standard for Customer Service first came into force on January 1, 2008. The customer service regulation is the first standard developed under the AODA. The regulation requires all businesses to be in compliance with a number of customer service accessibility standards by January 1, 2012.
At YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) we will:
- Greet our customers in a friendly manner, and provide them with quality service each and every visit;
- Give people with disabilities the same opportunity to use our services and allow them to benefit from the same services, in the same place and in a similar way as other customers;
- Provide friendly and knowledgeable service to customers;
- Treat our customers fairly, with respect and with dignity;
- Treat our customers with patience and understanding;
- Respect customer privacy and handle confidential information in an appropriate way;
- Take responsibility and be accountable for the accuracy and quality of our work;
- Act with integrity at all times
- YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) will provide copies of our customer service standards policy upon request, and will ensure that the format is accessible for the customer.
- YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) shall ensure that our products and services are accessible, and meet a consistently high standard of quality.
- YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) will ensure that customers are provided with appropriate feedback mechanisms in a variety of manners, and have the ability to contact YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) regarding concerns. We take customer feedback seriously, and will work to address comments, suggestions, and concerns. YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) will acknowledge the receipt of feedback in an appropriate manner.
- YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) will only collect and use customer information in a lawful manner that protects the privacy of our customers, and is compliant with applicable legislation including the Privacy Act and Personal Information Protection and Electronics Documents Act (PIPEDA).
- YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) shall ensure that our facilities, products and services are accessible to persons with a disability. All customer service provided by YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) shall follow the ideals of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity. We will meet or exceed all applicable legislation regarding the provision of customer service.
- YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) staff members shall provide service in a professional, polite and helpful manner, while ensuring that all interactions are conducted with integrity, discretion and respect.
- YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) staff shall be provided with appropriate customer service training to ensure the consistent delivery of exceptional service, including people with disabilities.
We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
We will train staff who communicate with customers on how to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities.
If telephone communication is not suitable for customer’s needs, alternative forms of communication will be offered as required.
We will commit to serving people with disabilities who use assistive devices to obtain, use or benefit from our services. Persons with disabilities may use assistive devices as required in accessing our services unless otherwise prohibited by law. We will make sure that our staff is trained and familiar with various assistive devices that may be used by clients with disabilities while accessing our services.
YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) will prepare one or more documents, describing the following, and give them upon request to any person:
- YES Employment Services policies, practices and procedures governing the provision of services for people with disabilities
- YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) policies, practices and procedures governing the use of service animals and support persons
- The steps YES Employment Services Thunder Bay) will take in connection with a temporary disruption of services
- YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) process for receiving and responding to feedback on the provision of services for people with disabilities
- YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) policies, practices and procedures for the provision of accessible customer service.
When providing a document to a person with a disability, we will offer the document and information contained in the document in a format that takes into account the person’s disability. We will take reasonable efforts to respond to requests for documents in alternative formats in a timely manner.
YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) will also provide notice of availability of all documents required by the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service on our website.
We are committed to welcoming people with disabilities and their service animals on our premises. We will also ensure that all staff is properly trained in how to interact with people with disabilities who are accompanied by a service animal. We reserve the right to request a letter from a treating physician, nurse or certificate confirming that the person requires the animal for reasons relating to the disability if it is not readily apparent that the animal is used by the person for reasons relating to his/her disability.
We are committed to welcoming people with disabilities who are accompanied by a support person. At no time will a person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person be prevented from having access to his or her support person while on our premises.
Notice of Temporary Disruption
YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) will provide customers with notice in the event of a planned or unexpected disruption in the facilities or services usually used by people with disabilities. This notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated duration, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available. The notice will be placed at all public entrances and service counters on our premises.
YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) will provide training to all employees, volunteers and others who deal with the public or other third parties on their behalf, and all those who are involved in the development and approvals of customer service policies, practices and procedures.
This training will be provided as a condition of employment to all new staff and on an ongoing basis for staff to ensure all staff stays current with any policy or procedural changes as it related to the AODA Customer Service Standard.
Training will include the following:
- The purposes of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty accessing or using YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) services
- YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) policies, practices and procedures relating to the customer service standard
Applicable staff will be trained on policies, practices and procedures that affect the way services are provided to people with disabilities. Staff will also be trained on an ongoing basis when changes are made to these policies, practices and procedures.
The ultimate goal of YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) is to meet and surpass customer expectations while serving customers with disabilities. Comments on our services regarding how well those expectations are being met are welcome and appreciated.
Feedback regarding the way YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) provides services to people with disabilities can be made by telephone, through email or in writing. All feedback will be directed to the Human Resources Dept. Customers can expect to hear back in 5 business days.
Modifications to This or Other Policies
We are committed to developing customer service policies that respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. Therefore, no changes will be made to this policy before considering the impact on people with disabilities.
Any policy of YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.
Questions About This Policy
This policy exists to achieve service excellence to customers with disabilities. If anyone has a question about the policy, or if the purpose of a policy is not understood, an explanation should be provided by, or referred to Cheryl Dillon: 807-624-1961 firstname.lastname@example.org
Download printable pdf: AODA Policy