YES Employment Services (Thunder Bay) was established June 8, 1981 in the basement of St. Paul’s Church. The service model was based on identified community needs brought to the table by a group of concerned citizens/volunteers. They realized the need for supportive services to at-risk groups in our community.
We incorporated on December 9, 1981. YES Employment Services is a non-profit, charitable, community-based organization governed by a board of directors. They represent community services, our customer base, business, and labour as well as education and training locally.
Over the years, YES continuously increased its capacity to deliver services to a larger and more diverse group of job seekers and employers. The planning and coordination of our customer and employer services is centered around:
- Open access to Resources and Information for job seekers and employers coordinated through the YES Resource Area
- Individualized Job Search and Career Planning Assistance coordinated by experienced Employment Counsellors. This assistance includes access to Job Search, Career Planning and Certification Workshops
- Job Matching, Placement, and Job Retention and Training support services
It is encouraging that the municipal, provincial and federal governments continue to address employment challenges in our community by continuing to fund vital employment programs and services. This funding allows YES to continue its mission to assist job seekers and employers in Thunder Bay and in the North Shore Communities we serve.
The Purpose of YES shall be:
- To carry out programs for the education and economic development of persons in need;
- To assist our customers to organize and participate more actively in community development and to enable them to become actively involved in the labour force within the community;
- To assist in the improvement of existing programs and services and to develop new programs designed to assist all persons in obtaining employment;
- To provide group and individual employment counselling for the members of the community in need;
- To develop relationships with employers that help bridge the access and credibility gap for our customers.
Policy Statement: YES Employment Services helps people find jobs and employers find employees.
Vision: YES is a community leader that provides exceptional employment services
Values: We will treat all people with respect, dignity, inclusion and compassion.
Our services will be provided in a professional way ensuring:
- Belief in customer potential
- Responsiveness to clients’ needs
- A customer-centred, non-judgemental approach
- A positive welcoming environment
- Continuous Improvement
Please Note: YES is a FRAGRANCE FREE workplace. We strive to create a comfortable environment for all individuals who visit our agency. Thank you for your cooperation.