Supervisor of Accounting
Children's Aid Society
The purpose of this position is to undertake a variety of supervisory tasks in collaboration with or in the absence of the Assistant Director of Finance in addition to regular accounting responsibilities. Supervisory tasks include assisting with staff relations and supervision, assisting in the coordination and operation of the accounting unit; ensuring schedules and unit objectives are met; and ensuring the continuity of unit routines and established procedures. The incumbent shall also carry out direct accounting responsibilities as a team member of the accounting unit. The position if full-time and permanent with 33.75 hours per week.
• Demonstrated ability to work co-operatively within multi-disciplinary groups
• Intermediate skill level and experience in computer programs including Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Demonstrated ability to work in a challenging, fast-paced work environment with time-sensitive deadlines. Organizational and time management skills to determine priorities, meet timelines and manage several assignments simultaneously
• Excellent communication skills including strong interpersonal skills
• Excellent knowledge of, and demonstrated ability in professional practice regarding: mandatory reporting requirements, adhering to standard accounting principles and auditing procedures, maintaining financial records, and exercising confidentiality
• Ability to assess workflow and administrative functions and to suggest recommendations to
improve efficiency and effectiveness
• Work independently, and as part of a team
• Reliable vehicle, safe driving record and a valid G Driver’s License
• Upon offer of employment, submission of a Current Criminal Records Check, deemed satisfactory to the employer
• Those offered employment will be required to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or written medical exemption.
• In the absence of the Assistant Director of Finance: Act as supervisor of other accounting unit staff including the scheduling of holidays; Assist in the review of daily accounting functions such as payments, journal entries, payroll etc. and;
• Assist with mandatory reporting requirements including quarterly and annual financial and statistical Ministry reports
• Assist with annual audit preparation
• Supervise property clerk and maintenance employees to ensure Agency offices are maintained for safety of staff and clients and to ensure supplies, services, and equipment needed by staff are available as required
• Complete non bargaining unit and emergency duty payroll preparation and administration
• Complete monthly bank reconciliation procedures
• Administer Agency RESP’s and RDSP’s
• Ensure completeness of revenues including child tax benefits, disability tax credits, and travel grants
• Complete monthly and annual accounting for the Foundation and report on such to Agency management and to the Foundation board of directors, prepare for and act as lead for the annual audit of Foundation financial statements
• Act as Quiz Night Committee finance representative
• Respond to internal and external inquiries in a helpful manner, maintain positive relations and solve problems
• Other assignments as directed by the Assistant Director of Finance
• Responding to on-call after hours property related issues
CLOSING DATE: October 29th, 2021 @ 5 pm
The preferred method of application is to submit a cover letter and resume on-line at www.thunderbaycas.ca “Career Opportunities”. Individuals may also submit directly to: Amy Wrigley, Assistant Director of Human Resources, The Children’s Aid Society of the District of Thunder Bay, 1110 Jade Court, Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6M7
TBCAS is committed to a candidate selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier free. In order
to ensure candidates are assessed in a fair and equitable manner, accommodations will be provided to prospective employees in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code.
We thank all applicants; however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.