Assistant Kitchen Manager
St. Andrew's Dew Drop Inn
292 Red River Rd.
Job Summary: Assistant Kitchen Manager
The Dew Drop Inn is seeking an energetic individual to work with our team in a very busy, fast-paced compassionate kitchen.
We provide a safe and welcoming environment where hungry men, women and children can access food with no questions asked and are treated with respect and dignity. Due to the sensitive nature of the information that staff will be exposed to; this candidate must be able to maintain confidentiality.
We are seeking a people person with a compassionate personality, good communication skills, and the ability to work in a team environment, who is self-motivated and can manage the workload with minimum supervision. You must be able to work varied shifts as needed, work well with others and be able to follow instructions.
Should the right candidate not meet all qualifications, we would be willing to provide training to the right person. Training will be provided in all aspects of the operations of our compassion kitchen. There is potential for advancement within the Dew Drop Inn for the right candidate with our Kitchen Manager tentatively retiring in 2024. Please see the job description attached.
To apply, please send a cover letter, outlining why you would be a good fit, as well as your resume to email@example.com or in person between Monday & Friday, 9am to 4pm at the Dew Drop Inn, 292 Red River Road.
Job Title: Assistant Kitchen Manager
Reports to (Title): Kitchen Manager
Hours/Week: 35 hours per week
Reporting to the Kitchen Manager, the Assistant Kitchen Manager is knowledgeable in all aspects of the Dew Drop Inn kitchen and facility operations and assists in managing the day-to-day operation of the Dew Drop Inn Kitchen.
Duties & Responsibilities
Cooperating with and under the direct supervision of the Kitchen Manager assists the Kitchen Manager to:
- Coordinate and oversee the day-to-day operations within the facility.
- Provide training and guidance, as required, to staff and volunteers about assigned tasks while making certain that safe food handling and cleaning practices are followed.
- Ensure the safety of staff, volunteers, and patrons while on the premises and document any incidents of concern.
- Create suitable nutritious menus, as needed, and oversee their implementation by staff and/or volunteers.
- Develop and maintain an effective inventory control system to ensure the timely and efficient use of purchased and donated food.
- Set up a schedule to regularly check and maintain equipment, freezers, and fridges.
- Become familiar with food and supply requirements and the procurement process.
- Liaise with community partners such as the Regional Food Distribution Association (RFDA), Roots to Harvest, food donors, suppliers, and volunteers to ensure that Dew Drop Inn best possible meals to its patrons.
- Ensure that the facilities are maintained in good operating order and kept clean and tidy.
- Implement policies and procedures that are established by the Board of Directors and communicated by the Executive Director.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned with minimal supervision.
In the absence of the Kitchen Manager, assumes all duties and responsibilities of that role.
Knowledge & Skills Required
- Working knowledge of relevant legislation including Health and Safety, Labour Laws, and Fire Safety.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work with and be respectful of fellow staff members, volunteers and patrons served by the organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Superior organizational skills and ability to prioritize and manage workload with minimal supervision.
- Strong work ethic.
Education & Work Experience
- Post-secondary school graduate with a degree or diploma in the food service or nutrition field or equivalent experience in the food service industry.
- Experience in management, and front-line supervisory capacity.
- Experience working as a volunteer or with volunteers in a non-profit environment.
- Ability to lift and carry, up to 30kgs, repeatedly, on a regular basis while navigating stairs.
- Due to the sensitive nature of information that staff may be exposed to; this candidate must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- A valid driver’s License and transportation is an asset.
- A Criminal Reference Check is required.
- All current necessary vaccinations and requirements to work in the food industry.