Pathways Program Supervisor
Shkoday Abinojiiwak Obimiwedoon
Job Summary: Under the direct supervision of the Program Director the Pathways Supervisor, is responsible for overseeing all components of the Thunder Bay Pathways Program. The Pathways Supervisor is responsible for the supervision and guidance of the Student Parent Support Workers (SPSW), Youth Facilitators, and other Volunteers and Students.
Duties and Responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to the following:
1. Program Management and Development
● Assumes all programming, managerial and administrative duties, and responsibilities of this position.
● Performs and/or supervises those responsible for intake, registration, retention, and ensures enrolment and attendance is at maximum capacity.
● Plans and/or supervises those responsible for orientation tours for youth and their parents/caregivers.
● Maintains and updates policies and procedures and make recommendations for change
● Establish and maintain positive and supportive relationships with Pathways students, parents/guardians, and secondary school staff to ensure that students fully participate in the program and in school. This will be achieved by maintaining regular contact with students, parents/guardians, and school staff.
● Ensures compliance with Health and Safety legislation.
● Become familiar with the strengths and capacities, as well as the barriers and challenges, faced by Pathways Thunder Bay students and, where needed, refer students to appropriate resources including academic, social, and emotional supports within the school system and in the broader community.
● Implement the program plan for Pathways Thunder Bay
● Care for youth engagement and ensuring that youth voices continue to be engaged and heard.
● Designs and delivers with support from other staff tutor training/screening for in-person and virtual learning
● Oversees the tutoring program to ensure it is meeting objectives
● Oversees the Mentorship, Leadership and Cultural program to ensure it is meeting the objectives.
● Ensures that statistical documentation is keep up to date and current
● Ensure a safe, culturally appropriate and secure environment for students during program activities (i.e., behavior management, emergency procedures, health and wellbeing, COVID 19 etc.).
2. Program Administration
● Ensure that staff and volunteers have the information they need to provide effective academic and social support to students, for example by sharing information about upcoming assignments and tests as well as students’ learning styles and learning needs.
● Ensure that Pathways students and their parents/guardians are aware of the particulars of the education system that could impact student success (i.e., graduation requirements, Academic vs. Applied courses and students’/parents’ rights and responsibilities in the education system) and advocating for students and their parents/guardians to school staff in decisions affecting the educational or social development of the student.
● Prepares monthly reports regarding program activities/operation and submits to Program Director.
● Ensures appropriate statistics and records are being maintained in keeping with the program goals and objectives;
● Writes applicable reports based on statistics (e.g. attendance, successes, challenges, participation, performance indicators and outcomes).
● Completes reporting requirements as required by funding agencies and/or as stipulated by the Program Director and/or Executive Director.
● Reviews and signs staff time sheets; authorizes staff overtime and time off requests.
3. Financial Support
● Assists in managing the budget and ensures daily operations stay within budget.
● Works closely with the Executive Director and Finance Officer to identify the financial and administrative requirements needed to fulfill the program goals and objectives.
● Ensures that the needs of the Pathway program is being met in a cost-effective and timely manner.
● Approves purchases and materials for programming as per Shkoday’s Financial Policies;
● Remains aware of annual budget and reviews purchases with Program Director.
● Prepares purchase orders, invoices and/or bills to appropriate channel
● Obtains quotes for needed equipment; works with contractors and meets with Program Director regarding approval of expenses.
4. Human Resources and Staff Support
● Ensures adequate staffing for Pathways programming; Works with the Executive Director and Program Director in obtaining new hires.
● Recruits volunteer tutors for each school year
● Provides orientation and supervision of Pathways staff and volunteers.
● Ensures proper sign in/out procedures are followed.
● Conducts performance evaluations for staff after three (3) months of employment, end of year and/or as needed.
● Identifies staff development needs and coordinates appropriate training.
● Provides support and encouragement to staff, students, and volunteers.
● Facilitates conflict resolution and complaint procedures; Maintains appropriate documentation.
● Acts as a role model for staff; Models best practice methods; Brainstorms and offers suggestions to issues/concerns.
● Reviews work plans with staff.
● Assesses material and equipment needs and orders/purchases supplies, as needed.
● Collaborates with SPSW’s, Pathways students and management to coordinate appearance, décor and learning environment of the program space and other office areas.
5. Community Development and Outreach
● Ensures the program and staff reflect the vision, mission, and values of Shkoday Abinojiiwak Obimiwedoon.
● Acts as a role model and resource for staff, students, and their families.
● Connects and maintains relationships with students and their families.
● Participates in networking and community activities on behalf of the organization.
● Networks, creates and/or maintains positive relationships with community contacts (school boards, local organizations, Indigenous and non-Indigenous organization.)
● Liaises with community organizations for referrals; children assessments and child related services (i.e. dental services, children’s support partners, speech/language etc.).
● Fosters and maintains positive and productive relationships with the children, youth, parents/caregivers, family, community, professionals, and co-workers.
● Works with others at Shkoday to ensure communications to students, families and community are shared on social channels.
6. General Duties
● Maintains a clean, organized and clutter-free workspace.
● Conducts routine inspections of facilities for health, safety, fire, and occupancy compliance and takes necessary corrective action.
● Answers phone and documents call in logbook, takes messages and/or transfers call as appropriate.
● Works as a team member, striving to create a healthy atmosphere, maintains regular and open communication with program team members and provide support to daily operations.
● Performs other duties, as directed by the Executive Director and/or Program Director.
● Assist with volunteer orientation, training and appreciation activities and provide support to volunteers during programming, including facilitating relationship-building between volunteers and students.
● Demonstrates knowledge and adheres to Shkoday Abinojiiwak Obimiwedoon Personnel Policies and Procedures
● Attends all Shkoday staff meetings and recommended professional development
● Other tasks as assigned.
● University degree in education, social work or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
● Experience working with high school aged youth from diverse backgrounds
● Experience planning and delivering high quality programming for youth
● Experience and knowledgeable of Indigenous Culture, traditions and ceremonies
● Knowledge of and experience with, informal individual counselling techniques and mentorship
● Current certification in Standard First Aid and Level “C” CPR is required
● Vulnerable Sector Check, TB Skin Test and Immunization Record are required and will be a condition of employment
● Effective organization, time-management, and administrative abilities.
● Strong self-initiative and ability to work autonomously.
● Ability to work flexible hours, including regular evening work.
● Regular access to a vehicle and a valid G driver’s license required.
● Creative and innovative thinking and problem solving skills
● Ability to build healthy relationships with partners, co-workers, community, and youth and effectively interact and relate to children and their families
● Conflict Resolution and Di-escalation training will be an asset
● Excellent computer and digital skills, particularly MS Office and databases
● Actively involved in and knowledge of Anishnaabe culture and traditions and experience working with Indigenous persons
● Ability to work flexible hours including some weekends
● Ability to speak Ojibwe/Cree or Oji-Cree considered an asset
Shkoday is committed and legally obligated (via Ontario Public Health Directives and Regulations) to implement measures to protect its clients, staff and other stakeholders from COVID-19. To comply with its legal obligations, Shkoday has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy. Exemptions will be made for those with a valid medical exemption; proof of the exemption will be required
The Pathways Supervisor will be working in a school-type environment which may involve both indoor and outdoor activities. The environment is a fast-paced, busy environment where many activities and noises happen simultaneously.
Traditional ceremonies, circles and medicines will be practiced, which may affect people who are sensitive to different scents.
There may be a number of situations that may arise that the Pathways Supervisor must be prepared to handle, such as accidents and emergencies.
There are also deadlines on a regular basis that need to be met, which may cause stress.
The hours of work may vary and are generally 40 hours per week. This is a full-time position including some evening and weekend work; therefore the incumbent will require to work flexible hours.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $47,000.00-$48,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
To comply with its legal obligations, Shkoday has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy. Exemptions will be made for those with a valid medical exemption; proof of the exemption will be required.
Work Location: One location