Soup Van Driver
The Salvation Army Journey to Life Centre
545 N. Cumberland Street
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world. Each position contributes to the mission of The Salvation Army. We are currently recruiting for a Casual Soup Van Driver to support our Community Feeding Program.
We are hoping to recruit an individual who can provide casual relief on the Soup Van. The Soup Van operates 7 days a week over 3.5 hour shifts from 4:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. The Casual Soup Van Driver is a relief position with no guaranteed hours of work, however, there is a current need for coverage on Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday evening. Flexibility in scheduling is required. The work schedule is determined in consultation with your supervisor and may vary according to requirements of responsibility.
• Load soup truck, drive to specified locations and serve hot meals to the Soup Van clients.
• Demonstrate knowledge of safe food handling practices.
• Supervise and work cooperatively with volunteers.
• To interact with clients in a positive and supportive manner.
• To make referrals to other agencies as appropriate.
• Contact emergency personnel as necessary (ambulance or police).
• Maintain cleanliness of the Soup Van, inside and out, especially the food storage and food service areas.
• Clean the kitchen area of the Soup Van to meet the requirements of the Public Health Department standards.
• Complete Soup Van statistics sheet and daily mileage log sheets before leaving shift.
• Complete incident reports before leaving shift if necessary.
• Inform Program Services Director of any issues with grocery shortages, supplies or Soup Van.
• Assist in picking up food donations as requested.
• Follow procedure to verify volunteer participation and inform an on-call person if necessary.
• Participate as an active and responsible team member in all work groups through which position responsibilities are achieved.
• Represent the organization in a professional and engaging manner and assist personnel whom the position supports in developing those skills as required.
• Participate in regular supervision and performance reviews/evaluations as required.
• Work in compliance with OH&S Act and Regulations and abide by The Salvation Army’s policies and procedures.
• Perform other position related duties as required.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Have current First Aid/CPR Certification.
• Have current Safe Food Handling Certification.
• Valid driver’s license and clean driving abstract.
• Ability to lift and carry heavy loads or objects as required.
• Knowledge and understanding of safety procedures and regulations.
• Self-motivated and ability to work independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team when required.
• Be of a pleasant and courteous disposition with the ability to relate positively to others.
• Provide an original copy of a Background Check that is satisfactory to The Salvation Army, in its sole discretion, is required. The screening is secured either through the National Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or through a local police detachment.
• May require screening through The Salvation Army Abuse Registry.
• Support for and an understanding of the mission and purpose of The Salvation Army in Canada.
• Obtain immunization for Hepatitis B and Tuberculosis Screening.
• NOTE: Alternative combinations of education and experience may be considered
Interested applicants may submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org