Sioux Lookout First Nation Health Authority
The Communications Officer is a member of Sioux Lookout First Nations Health Authority’s (SLFNHA) Communications Department. Working under the direction of the Communications Manager, and in collaboration with departments across SLFNHA, the Communications Officer supports all communications initiatives. They will perform a variety of duties relating to external and internal communications, including, but not limited to: developing marketing and advertising materials, writing/copy editing, photography/videography, graphic design, maintaining the SLFNHA website and Intranet, planning and developing social media content, media relations, and the coordination and distribution of print/digital publications.
Who can apply:
Persons of First Nations ancestry will be given preference (s.16 (1)CHRA)
Applicants must possess:
· Post-secondary diploma or degree in public relations, communications, journalism, marketing, graphic design, or related field. Equivalent work experience will also be considered in lieu of formal education.
· Knowledge of local, regional, national current events and politics that affect the First Nations in the Sioux Lookout region.
· Exceptional organization and time-management skills, with ability to prioritize multiple tasks to meet strict deadlines.
· Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
· Skilled in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, lndesign, Photoshop, Premiere}.
· Strong computer software skills a must. Experience and skills in MS Office, Canva, WordPress CMS (and/or other CMS) preferred.
· Skills in photography, graphic design, and/or videography is preferred.
· Highly motivated and ability to work in demanding and fast-paced work environment. Self motivated and ability to work with minimal supervision
· Knowledge, awareness and sensitivity of Anishinaabe culture and tradition as it pertains to SLFNHA’s geographical catchment area is an asset
· Ability to speak one of the Anishinaabe languages an asset
· Must be willing and able to travel
Roles and Responsibilities:
· In collaboration with the Communications Department, support communications and public relations projects and initiatives for all of SLFNHA’s departments and services
· Working closely with departmental managers and SLFNHA staff, write, edit and develop marketing and public relations content, including but not limited to; external and internal website content, news and stories for digital and print publications, press releases and statements, brochures, and posters.
· Develop and distribute material specific to SLFNHA communications initiatives, including but not limited to; internal and external newsletters, website and social media content, brochures, social media content, annual reports, and other marketing material aimed at communicating department/servi ces activities and operations.
· Refer and respond (as appropriate) to public/media relations inquiries as directed
· Liaise with outside firms and agencies to develop print/audio/digital/video SLFNHA public service announcements, and communication materials.
· Assist in scheduling and coordination of news conferences, and other media or public relations events.
· Maintain effective digital filing system for Communications department reports, correspondence, documents, etc.
· Participate and collaborate in planning sessions for developing communication strategies and campaigns with the Communications Department and departmental managers as needed.
· Support and manage various internal communications initiatives, including the Intranet, signage and supporting employee retention programs.
· In conjunction with IT department, make recommendations regarding future purchasing of communications hardware, software.
Please send cover letter, resume, three most recent employment references and an up-to-date Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Persons Sector Check to:
Human Resource Department
Sioux Lookout First Nations Health Authority
P.O. Box 1300, 61 Queen Street
Sioux Lookout, ON P8T 1B8
Phone: (807) 737-1802
Fax: (807) 737-2969
Email: Human.Resources@slfnha.com or apply online www.slfnha.com
Closing Date: April 20th, 2021 at 4:30pm