1610 John Street Road
Position Summary: Under the authority of the Registered Early Childhood Educator Supervisor, the Cook is responsible for the daily operation of the kitchen and provision of healthy and nutritional food services for children (ages 18 months to 6 years old) at Thunder Bay Aboriginal Head Start.
- Prepares well-balanced, homemade snacks and meals that adhere to Canada’s Food Guide and to traditional Indigenous food customs and practices
- Plans menus, orders food and maintains inventory
- Maintains kitchen and all related kitchen equipment in a safe, hygienic, sanitary, and presentable condition by completing routine checklists
- Completes clean up after each meal (e.g. Dishes, countertops, floors); prepares for next meal
- Assists with planning and preparation for special events (e.g. Feasts, graduation)
- Maintains log of food allergies, medications & dietary needs as set out in the Child Care and Early Years Act 2014
- Provides assistance to co-workers for any cooking related lesson they may incorporate in program, including Community Kitchen and Community Garden
- Culinary Management Diploma, Food Service Worker, Hospitality & Tourism, or any culinary related education
- At least two (2) years of experience in food preparation, preferably in a Child Care setting
- Safe Food Handling or equivalent
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Knowledge of Anishnaabe Culture and traditions and experience working with Indigenous persons an asset
- Ability to speak Ojibwe/Cree, considered an asset
Conditions of Employment:
- Standard First Aid & Level “C” CPR required
- Must have a successful Vulnerable Sector Check
- Required to have successfully undergone a tuberculosis skin test and provide Immunization Record
- Must pass medical exam
For a detailed job description please visit Shkoday Abinojiiwak Obimiwedoon’s website
http://www.shkoday.com or contact Human Resources. Only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
Please forward cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Job posting will be advertised until September 23rd, 2020 @ 12p.m.(noon).