Ontario Public Service
Consider Your Next Career with the Ministry of the Solicitor General, Ontario Public Service!
The Ontario Public Service is one of the largest employers in the province, with a wide range of exciting career opportunities. We believe in the core values of trust, fairness, diversity, excellence, creativity, collaboration, efficiency and responsiveness. We invite you to join our teams!
Thunder Bay is a modern community that offers high quality amenities and a diversified economy. With a lower cost of living and an average commute time of 10 minutes, this is the place to consider your next nursing career.
We are seeking caring and compassionate Registered Nurses to join our health care teams at the Thunder Bay Jail and Thunder Bay Correctional Centre. As a Registered Nurse, you will use your knowledge and skills to provide patient-centered nursing care to offenders.
This posting is for 3 irregularly scheduled/casual positions at the Thunder Bay Correctional Centre, and 3 irregularly scheduled/casual positions at the Thunder Bay Jail. The starting hourly rate is $34.86 per hour.
Please note this is a continuous posting ad. The recruitment and selection processes will begin after April 19, 2021. This posting may be extended and available until the position is filled. Please submit your application once only.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
– Conduct health assessments for the purposes of triage and on-going care
– Plan for and provide health care treatment
– Monitor adherence to treatment plans and response to health care interventions
– Liaise with community care providers to obtain health histories and to facilitate transitional care at discharge for both remand and intermittent inmates
– Participate in case management
– Advocate for and encourage patient participation in the plan of care
– Act as a resource for patients, staff and external stakeholders by sharing your knowledge and expertise
– Work collaboratively as a member of the inter-professional team to develop, implement and evaluate patient-specific plans of care
– Contribute to health program development within the institution
– Establish and maintain positive working relationships with other staff members and external stakeholders
– Provide emergency care, acute care, crisis intervention, health teaching, and counselling, when required, both for patients considered medically stable and unstable
– Practice in accordance with the College of Nurses of Ontario Practice Standards and Ministry expectations
– Practice in accordance with the security requirements of the institution
How do I qualify?
– You are currently a Registered Nurse in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
Nursing Knowledge and Experience
– You have knowledge of professional standards and guidelines, best practice guidelines, and nursing theories, practices and relevant legislation (such as Regulated Health Professions Act, Health Care Consent Act, Mental Health Act)
– You are able to complete a comprehensive health assessment
– You can elicit, interpret and evaluate information from patients and other sources and draw conclusions to develop treatment and care plans
– You are able to evaluate patient responses to planned interventions and to modify interventions in collaboration with the inter-professional team to achieve established goals
– You can address emergency situations and implement appropriate therapeutic interventions
Other Essential Skills
– You have excellent critical thinking and organizational skills to provide emergency, urgent and routine health care
– You have effective oral and written communication and health teaching skills to deal effectively with staff and clients
– You can work as a member of an inter-professional team and with a diverse client group
Hours of Work
– The hours of work are 0-40 hours per week.
3 Temporary – Irregular On-Call, duration up to 6 months, 285 Macdougall, Thunder Bay, North Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
3 Temporary – Irregular On-Call, duration up to 6 months, 2351 Hwy 61 S , Thunder Bay, North Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
Please apply online only at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 162416, by Friday, April 30, 2021. Please follow the instructions to submit your application.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.