COOK (CASUAL, ON-CALL)
Ontario Public Service
Are you an experienced food service professional ready to apply your skills in a large volume cooking operation? If so, bring your culinary expertise to this position at the Thunder Bay Jail with the Ministry of the Solicitor General.
• This position is irregularly scheduled, on-call working from 0 to 40 hours per week with no guaranteed minimum amount of hours per week
• The Thunder Bay Jail is located at:285 MacDougall Street, Thunder Bay (Please click on address link for a map of where the jail is located)
• This position requires working with and providing direction to inmate helpers (and will be eligible for an Custodial Responsibility Allowance)
What can I expect to do in this role?
• Prepare, cook and serve meals for an offender population of approximately 132 and staff on an assigned shift
• Train, instruct, and supervise offender helpers
• Check temperatures and ensure equipment is functioning properly
• Ensure safety and security of the kitchen
• Maintain an inventory of supplies
• Maintain proper sanitary conditions in the kitchen area
• Other duties, as assigned
How do I qualify?
• You have a Journeyman Chef’s Certificate as issued by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities, or sufficient acceptable experience in volume cooking
• You have a valid First Aid and Heartsaver Certificate or the ability to obtain
Food Services Knowledge and Skills
• You have knowledge of volume cooking/baking methods and safety principles
• You can prepare and assemble a high volume of meals
• You have knowledge and experience with various diets (i.e. lifestyle, medical, religious)
• You have knowledge of food safety practices
• You have knowledge of health and safety practices and standards
• You have demonstrated ability to understand and follow organizational policies/protocols in order to acquire knowledge of institutional policies and maintain safety and security of kitchen
Communication and Team Leadership Skills
• You can work with staff as well as service providers to address issues
• You have team leadership skills to provide instruction and direction to inmate helpers in cooking methods and kitchen cleanliness and appraise performance
• You have written communication skills to prepare various reports
Other Essential Skills
• You have analytical and problem-solving skills to identify, assess, and resolve equipment/appliance malfunctions, supply shortage, sanitation and hygiene control, and food service issues
• You have basic computer skills to input, track and record data
3 Temporary – Irregular On-Call, duration up to 6 months, 285 Macdougall, Thunder Bay, North Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
Please apply online only at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 165171, by Friday, June 25, 2021. Please follow the instructions to submit your application.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.