DougallMedia, Thunder Bay’s only locally owned broadcast/multimedia company, has a rare and exciting full-time opening in our Newswatch team, as a Reporter.
Do you wish that your communication and written skills were utilized and recognized? Can you imagine working in a respectful and diverse environment, where your efforts and accomplishments are celebrated? Would you like to be at the center of exciting events or developments, and be the one to share what is happening with everyone else? TBnewswatch, NWOnewswatch, and SNnewswatch, do more than deliver news and current topics, they are outlets to share local voices and stories within and around our communities. DougallMedia provides a healthy work/life balance in a supportive and inclusive corporate culture. We also offer exciting employee perks such as free event tickets, staff celebrations, and many pizza parties!
The Newswatch Reporter is responsible for generating stories ideas for content on TBnewswatch, NWOnewswatch, and SNnewswatch. Story ideas are then pitched to the Editor and followed up on if required. The Reporter is responsible for establishing and maintaining relationships throughout the coverage area, as well as performing fact-checking duties on their stories and posting completed stories and photos to the proper website(s).
· Collect, verify and analyze newsworthy information
· Write and deliver news stories with the reader’s perspective in mind
· Publish and schedule stories across the Newswatch websites
· Receive assignments, investigate news leads and tips
· Contact, interview and conduct research and fact check sources for stories
· Co-operate and collaborate with other reporters, including those in other departments, along with the managing editor and news director
· Check comments, Facebook messages and community submissions
· Produce 10 original stories per week, or 15 with press release rewrites included
Requirements for this position:
· Live in Northwestern Ontario
· At least one year of experience in journalism or communications
· Superior language, writing and editing skills
· Experience with photography and knowledge of editing software
· Flexibility to work a variety of different shift schedules, including nights and weekends
· A willingness to travel
· A valid Ontario driver’s license
· The ability to meet tight deadlines
If interested, please submit your resume, cover letter, and a sample of your work, to begin the application process. Start your new career today!